Wednesday, March 19, 2008

painting for fun and profit...not

Today marked day one of my first paid painting job!! Not as fun as it sounds, though. This woman has a set of hand-painted wooden patio furniture; a little table, a bench and two adirondack chairs. It's all been outside for 8 years and is peeling and faded. All of it is painted with little country scenes - benches, trees, arbors, butterflies, flowers. I'm pretty much sanding it down til there's just a faded ghost of the artwork..and then painting it all back in. It is taking FOREVER. I'm charging her $100.00 plus materials, and I totally undersold myself. I've never been paid for anything like this, so I had no idea what to charge. I just threw that amount out there and she took it. It's going to take me DAYS to finish. It took all day just to do a small end table. UGH!!!! Oh, I'm also painting a small box that contains her dead dog's ashes (I met this woman because I'm training the dog she just adopted). The box is easy, she just wants it painted white in a sort of shabby-chic style.

So, not only did I spend the day contorted in weird positions whilst sanding and painting the surfaces of the table - I also worked with her dog (96 pound rotty who looks more like a pony than a dog) a little bit. We're working on having him walk to heel at her side. He's doing well, but when he decides to pull...well..you feel it. I weigh about 120, so I don't have much on him. And he's a LOT stronger than me. Top this all off with the fact that I just started back at the gym yesterday. A brutal 45 minute cycling class, then an hour (also brutal) of mat pilates. Um.........OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need someone to simultaneously massage me and pump me full of ibuprofin. Even my toes hurt. My TOES. Pilates; it really works every muscle in your body, I tell ya.

I doubt I'm going to coax a massage out of anyone tonight, but I'm off to pound some Advil right now.

2 comments:

Callooh Callay said...

Oh my, this woman is getting the deal of the century. Maybe you can paint little devil faces or something in hidden places to amuse yourself so it doesn't seem like an entire waste.

sugarskull said...

Ha!! That's a good idea. Or some sort of weird subliminal pictures that cause her guests to do strange things....

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.