Saturday, December 20, 2008

a tight grasp on the obvious


I overhead this gem of wisdom at the gym this morning. This was a woman's response to someone mentioning that she didn't see her in spin class last week - "Oh yeah, I was away. *ponderous pause* If I'm not here, it's because I'm away."
Another of life's mysteries, unraveled at last.

My daughter is at Disneyland today, celebrating her best friend's birthday. (The best friend and her mom are also there, of course.)(I don't know why I was compelled to write that.) She called me just after they went on Splash Mountain, her favorite ride. Here is the conversation we had:
Me: "So, how was it?"
Her: "Well, we won't be going on it again today."
Me: "Why not?"
Her: "Cause the kid right in front of me threw up. Into the water."

Niiiiiiiiice. Now for those of you who don't know, I have a major, sometimes debilitating vomit phobia. And the only reason I wasn't there in the boat with the rest of them was because I'm broke and could only afford my daughter's admission. So the lesson we can take from this is that sometimes being poor is a GOOD thing.

Tonight we're having dinner at our friends Matt and Kristen's house. Matt's birthday is on the 25th and he's really into Superman (don't hold it against him, he's really cool), so I carved a Superman symbol for him. Here's a picture of a couple test-stamps of it in my sketchbook.
Now I have that "If I go crazy now, will you still call me Superman.." song stuck in my head.
Is it stuck in yours too? Sorry.

No comments:

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.