Monday, January 12, 2009

It IS January......right?


So I spent part of today at the end of Stearn's Wharf in Santa Barbara, peering at harbor seals through my spotting scope. It was seventy-five degrees, sunny, and so clear you could see all the way to the islands. It's WINTER!!! What the??? Now it's almost 8pm and my bedroom window is still open, the ceiling fan is on and it's hot in here! Crazy. I love Southern California.
I spent yesterday carving while my husband and a couple of friends watched football. The image today is of a custom stamp I did for someone's anniversary. I really like how this one came out. I always feel honored when I get a request like that - to do a stamp for a wedding invitation, or anniversary or some other significant event. It's cool to be able to make something that has special meaning for someone. I really love doing this, making stamps, building a business, meeting all kinds of cool people along the way.
It's a daily struggle trying to make this all work - the dog training business, the stamp business, the family, but I'm lucky. OH, and there was the Toad show last Friday night! Again, lucky.
I won't bore you with the details, but the past few years, from 2006 until only recently, have been rough ones. The horrible loss of one of our dogs (Cecil, hit by a car on 09/28/06), dealing with my daughter's bout with HSP (Henoch Schoenlin Purpura - google it, it's weird..)(she's ok now), the loss of my job after 17 years with Verizon thanks to massive layoffs, and financial struggles ever since. That's the reader's digest version. And those are only the key notes, there was more. But right now things are good again. I think we'll make it financially, somehow. I'm thrilled with the small success I've had so far with Etsy and I hope that ball continues to roll. I think dog training will pick up too, now that the holidays are over.
So..yeah, right now I spend a lot of my time here at home with my dogs and family, drawing, carving, doing what I love. I wouldn't have forseen this even a year ago.
Life is always surprising.

No comments:

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.