Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happiest Place


It's been a busy week! Had a dog training session on Tuesday, went to Disneyland with my husband for his birthday Wednesday, we spent the night there and went to California Adventure the next morning, came home that afternoon and yesterday was another platelet donation day. I'm tired! This morning we had a training re-visit and this evening we're going to a friend's house for a little birthday gathering for my husband.
Disneyland was awesome because it was a cold, rainy day. That might not make sense at first but when you factor in how many people that deters and do the math regarding the crowds, it does. If you're prepared to suck it up and carry an umbrella, a rainy day is the best day to go. We walked onto every single ride we wanted to with barely a wait. Because we had a hotel room, we were even able to go back to the room for a short nap and then hit the park again. This is the first time in a long time that we've stayed til it closed. Usually we're so daunted by the prospect of the drive home, as well as dealing with the cattle drive to the parking lot upon closing, that we leave early. This time we got there when it opened, rode several rides, went to House of Blues in Downtown Disney for a cocktail or two, went back to the room, then back to the park til closing. It was awesome! And right now they're offering "two-fer" tickets - which means on a different day (within 30 days of the day you visit the first park) you can visit whichever park you didn't visit, free! Since we knew we'd never have the time or inclination to go back to Anaheim within the next month we decided to briefly check out California Adventure the next morning.
What we did, basically, was walk in, go straight to the Tower of Terror (which we've never ridden and I've been dying to check out), rode it, LOVED it, turned around and got right back on it, then left. It was perfect. And Tower of Terror is my new favorite ride. I LOVE freefall rides!!!
Yesterday's platelet donation was my least favorite experience of the three I've had so far. The person who inserted my needle didn't place it well and had to keep coming back and f*cking around with it because it was hurting me. With platelet donation, they actually separate your platelets from your blood, then return the blood to you. The machine draws blood from you, separates the components, then returns blood back to you in cycles. So each time I was on a "return" cycle, I could feel the fluid blowing against the wall of my vein. It was quite unpleasant, and no one seemed able to fix it, and then the fixing itself hurt and I made them stop. I just dealt with it for the hour and a half. Bleh. Maybe next time I'll try my other arm, I've used the same one the past 3 times.
AND...so hopefully I'll be back to my normal schedule this upcoming week. I've got a LOT of carving to catch up on, I got behind this past week with everything going on. And...okay, that's all for now. I should be working!

7 comments:

Delightfully Delirious said...

Just wanted to let you know that I think the peony stamp is just beautiful - you're so talented! :D

The platelet donation sounded very unpleasant - I hope it's not causing you any residual pain!

Best wishes

Laura

sugarskull said...

Thanks Laura! I loved making that stamp - it was a custom order. :) As for the platelets, the satisfaction of having a way help someone definitely outweighs the discomfort. I was just whiney that day. :)
~Kim

Delightfully Delirious said...

I'm really interested to hear that you do custom orders - I'm going to be opening my Etsy shop eventually and I'd like a stamp making of my planned shop image - I just need to sort out getting something designed as I am no artist myself!

Times like this I really wish I could draw!

Melissa said...

Uh-oh - finding you could get expensive. I'm momelisse from etsy and just bought my peacock... came to check your blog and saw the peony - my favorite flower to stamp (I have a number of them). Might have to request another special order soon! Then reading on I see you're a plateletpheresis donor and wanted to give you a huge hug. I work as the head of the Transfusion Service in the laboratory at a community hospital. You probably know the altruism of blood donation is lower in California than just about anywhere else in the country. And with the short shelf life of platelets its hard to transport them much of a distance. Between your artistry and your generous donations you have the soul of an angel on earth. Makes me even more happy to have one of your stamps. Thank you!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sugarskull said...

Aw, thanks Melissa! I actually didn't know that about donors in California. I'm embarassed to admit that this year is the first year I've ever donated. I've always wanted to, actually, but am always getting tattooed, which rules me out. But I'm done tattooing for a while, and if I don't use all up all my allotted donations for my friend's daughter, I plan to continue doing it once she no longer needs me. It's a good feeling. :)
~Kim

sugarskull said...

Oh, and Delirious, let me know if I can help you with a shop stamp, I LOVE doing custom work!! :)
~Kim

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.