Tuesday, April 14, 2009

there goes Peter Cottontail...

Welp, Sunday started off sort of badly. We don't really celebrate Easter (not really into organized religion), and apparently our dogs don't either. They started the day by catching one of the little bunnies in our yard. I walked out of the bedroom and found my husband in the garage holding a partially-skinned bunny wrapped in a towel. The bunny was still alive but obviously severely injured and he didn't know what to do. We brought him inside, cleaned his wounds and wrapped him in a clean t-shirt. Then we placed him in a shoe box and put him next to the space heater in the bedroom. Luckily, I found a nearby wildlife rehab volunteer online and within a few minutes we were headed to her house. We left there feeling a little better knowing that if nothing else, he'd die more comfortable than he would have if the dogs had finished the job.
Yesterday I found out that he actually survived long enough to be taken to surgery. The vet attempted to suture his skin back on, but too much of it was missing to completely close him, and he was euthanized. That made me sad. I would have loved it if he'd survived. I feel really guilty that my own dogs caused his demise.
Other than that, it's been fairly uneventful here. My neck is still a little messed up and it's making it hard to carve at my usually pace. That means my work is getting backed up and I've got a LOT of carving to do today!!!
Time for breakfast and then I need to get to work!!
~Kim

No comments:

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.