Friday, May 29, 2009

wired


I've spent most of today working on a birthday gift for a friend. We're going out to dinner tonight and I wanted her gift ready by then. One problem is that I've been so busy carving lately, I haven't had time to do anything else. The other problem is that I don't really know HOW to make what I wanted to make. I've mentioned my rock collecting addiction more than once here, so it stands to reason that my friends are forced to admire the fruits of my tumbler whenever they're at my house. Last summer this friend chose one particular rock from a recently tumbled batch, and I told her I'd make her a necklace sometime.
SO...a couple weeks ago after we got back from the gem and mineral show, she remembered the rock! Since her birthday was coming up, I decided it was time to finally make the necklace. The plan was to make a simple wire-wrap cage for it. The problem is that I don't really know how to do that. I did it once - I made a necklace for my daughter and I just sort of winged it. It came out nice but it took a LONG time. I tried to wing it again today but it just wasn't happening. I finally broke down and went to the local bead store to get a book and some better supplies. So, above is the result of my first book-taught wire-wrap. Not the greatest piece of jewelry ever created, but it was fun and I think she'll like it. It's a nice way to display a pretty stone.
PS: I have no idea what type of stone it is, probably jasper. It's from Moonstone Beach in Cambria. Any rockhounds out there who can shed some light on it?
Okay, back to carving. My fingers hurt.

No comments:

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.