Tuesday, February 2, 2010

new and improved

Still busily trying to catch up on orders. For some reason sales have been sluggish the past few days, I wonder what's changed. It's a little worrysome because I've just opened a few wholesale accounts so that I can start adding supplies to the shop...and now there's no money with which to purchase them! Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. With the dog training business still dying a slow death, I've come to depend on the income I get from my shop.
Anyway, I'm sure it'll be okay. Meanwhile, in between filling orders, I've been weeding through the shop, removing stamps that don't sell well or are just way too time consuming to carve. I've also updated a few. I had a small swallow stamp that used to sell really well. It still sells now and then, but it's popularity seems to have waned and I'm tired of carving it. The one you see above is the new, improved swallow! I also had a wine bottle stamp that was sort of rough looking, so I updated it and added a wine glass.
Those were pretty fun to carve. My local scrapbook supply store just moved to a larger location and is going to start hosting monthly indoor craft fairs. The cost to rent a table is pretty low, so I'm thinking of giving it a try. The problem with doing any sort of "live" sales for me is inventory. I'll have to somehow find the time to carve a number of stamps ahead of time in order to have enough to sell. Even if I just do one each of my most popular ones, though, it'll be a good way to network. I'll have to be sure to have a portfolio of all the stamps I offer, along with cards with my website address.
Oh, I'm also hosting a stamp carving workshop at a local children's museum the end of this month (click the link and scroll down a bit for the workshop info). I'm participating in Disney's "Give a Day, Get a Day" program. You volunteer at a participating location for a day and get a free ticket to Disneyland. Since Jim loves going there for his birthday, and we're far too broke to pay $70.00 apiece to get. This way we can both volunteer (he'll be my lovely assistant) and get into Disneyland free! Plus it feels good to volunteer, and I can try my hand at teaching a stamp carving workshop. That might be something I can offer in other venues if it goes well. :)
Okay, time to stop working for today.

1 comment:

JenIncarnate said...

Wow! Lovely bird :) I found your work on etsy and wanted to commission a sign from you but couldn't communicate through their email link because I don't have outlook - blah, blah, blah.
Anyhow, please email me at zenjen@gmail.com so I can describe my needs and you can see if it's something you want to produce - ok?
Thanks.
-j.

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.