Tuesday, March 2, 2010

new stuff

I've been too busy to write lately! The shop is still busy (yay!!) and I've added a new line of ink pads. I've been a huge fan of Colorbox ink for as long as I've been carving stamps (about 14 years now), so I'm really excited to have been able to start carrying their products. So far I've just added small ink pads and a couple paintboxes (multiple-pad ink pads), but I plan to add more when I get a feel for what sells the best.
My dog training franchise has reached the point where it's costing me more money to run it than it's making. It's pretty depressing. I've put the franchise up for sale, but the odds of it selling are pretty slim. I may wind up being forced to just give it up.
SO...it's a time of reckoning for my Etsy business. I have to get really serious about it and keep growing it to make up for the income I'm NOT making training dogs.
We're still waiting to see if our mortgage loan will be approved for a modification so that we can keep our house. Things have been so incredibly stressful for us financially for so long now that if it ever lets up, I won't know what to do with myself! Seriously, what will I do with all the space in my brain presently reserved for constant worry about money?? I really hope I'm in a position to find out very soon.
Oh - I experienced a first on Saturday: I met one of my customers in person. I was making a hand painted sign for her and there was a bit of a misunderstanding between us about payment/shipping times. Luckily she lives nearby and we were able to meet up so I could deliver the sign. She was really sweet and I would have liked to spend more time talking with her, but Jim and I were in a hurry. In a text exchange with her a bit later, she mentioned that she felt a bit like a kid in Kindergarten and I knew exactly what she meant! There was this awkwardness - we'd had so many email exchanges online, yet we didn't seem to know what to do with ourselves in person. I don't know why it's so easy for me to communicate in writing but not in person when I meet someone new.
Ugh...nothing I'm trying to say is coming across the way I want it to right now. Not a good idea to write when I first wake up, I guess - and I'd better get up and start working now.
Maybe I'll be able to write something more articulate soon.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hey Kim,
nice colors! Makes me want to buy a whole bunch!
I hear you on the money front - I hope everything works out for you.

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.