Thursday, June 3, 2010

(not) workin' nine to five...

New stamp alert!

So, when I used to have my 9-5 cubicle job, I could not WAIT to go on vacation. There was nothing I wanted more than to forget my job for a few days and just enjoy my life. I never, ever dreamed that someday I'd have a job I love so much that it makes me slightly panicky when I know I'll be off for a few days. Not that I'm not looking forward to the vacation we're about to take!!! No no!! It's our 10 year wedding anniversary, we're going to Carmel-by-the-sea (how can you not love a city-with-dashes-in-its-name??) and Cambria for a few days. I've never been to Carmel before, but have been told by many people that I'll love it, and of course Cambria is one of my favorite places in the world. There will be wine, there will be art, there will be rockhounding, there will uninterrupted time with my husband. It will be GOOD.

However. When I had my hated-but-well-paying (there was a sale on dashes today..) job, it didn't matter when I was gone. All of the other drones that did the same job I did could take over and seamlessly mask my absence until I returned. I hated what I did, I was simply a cog in a really large piece of machinery and as long as another cog took my place, the wheels continued to turn. Now...notsomuch. I LOVE what I do, I'm the only one who can do it (for MY business, I mean. I know there are other fabulous stamp carvers out there.), and the work will NOT get itself done while I'm gone. This means that, despite having an immensely wonderful time, there will be a small piece of my brain worrying that someone is mad at me because their stamp has not arrived yet. I will be thinking about how far behind each day of not carving is putting me. I refuse to let these thoughts in any way interfere with the amazing time I know I'll be having, but it's weird how much my life has changed.

On that note, I spent three hours today with a CPA doing my final corporate tax returns for the now-defunct (There are those dashes again!!) dog training business. I just spent $500.00 to show the IRS that my corporation operated at a loss and has now dissolved. Awesome. No regrets, though. I met so many wonderful dogs, learned so much about them, and the franchise ownership experience bridged the gap between my being a 9-5 corporate employee to a small independent art business owner. It's a place I never, ever dreamed I'd be in.
I am grateful. Anxious, but so, so grateful.

3 comments:

Daydream Retreat said...

Your story gives me hope! I'm currently a cog with dreams of running my own small art business...enjoy your vacation, bring inspiration back for your art :)

The Mayberry Sparrow said...

Don't think about work while you're gone. I *know* exactly how hard it is, but worrying will just weigh down your vacation, which is MUCH needed!!!
If you want to think about work while you're away, think about things you'll see that will inspire some new stamps:) Jot them down in a sketcher, and then leave em' alone 'till you come home!

hehe, did I just rhyme?

Monkey Mind Design said...

Love the blog post... too funny! I felt the same way... now so happy!

About Me

Hippieville, CA, United States
This is the story of life after losing the "real" job and the house, trying to find the middle ground between making a living and actually living.